Skip to main content

Flood Insurance and What You Need to Know to Protect Your Home

Get flood insurance to protect your League City home and business

Yet another hurricane season is upon us and it’s time to start preparing properly.  Sure, you’ll want to make sure that you’ve got your go-bag ready and that you are prepared in all of those practical fashions.  But don’t forget about your home insurance — specifically flood insurance or windstorm. Remember that homeowners insurance doesn’t cover flood damage and you’ll want to make sure that you are fully protected from the damage that the water can bring.

The risk of flood damage

It doesn’t take much water damage to create a costly repair.  Even just a few inches of water seepage into your home will cost a lot for you to repair — lots as in several thousands of dollars, if not more.  But you can avoid that large, ghastly amount by having flood insurance in place.  Not only will this cover your structure from damage, but it can also cover the contents in your home. Just be sure you select a policy that has property and contents coverage.

Flood insurance comes with a waiting period

One of the details to keep in mind with this insurance is that it has a 30-day waiting period to take effect.  Many homeowners will take out a flood insurance policy when they get a weather warning, thinking it’ll protect them.  However, if there is flood damage before the 30 days are up, it will not be covered. So, time is of the essence, get insured immediately to be sure your home and belongings are protected.

What’s your flood risk?

Depending on where you live (and the mortgage that you have), you may require flood insurance, which is usually added within your escrow of your home mortgage. However, even if you aren't in a high risk flood zone, you should still consider getting flood insurance. Because hurricanes and rain doesn't usually follow directions and only stay within high risk flood areas. Take note of Hurricane Harvey - that one hung around for a long time, even over lower risk flood areas. When it comes to the cost of water damage, it is better to be safe than sorry. And the cost of the insurance, annually, is so minute in comparison to the cost of replacing your home, hands down.

Renters need not despair

While you aren’t responsible for insuring your apartment or house property when renting, you can consider getting insurance for your belongings in case of water damage.  Since a landlord only has protection on the structure itself, any damage to your belongings will not be covered.  Renters insurance is a good idea, anyway, and it’s a good idea to take out an extra policy for flood insurance, especially if you live in a high risk flood zone.

Need help?  Contact your insurance agent

If you still aren’t sure whether or not flood insurance is right for you, or you have questions on what is covered and what isn’t, it’s a good idea to getting touch with your local agent. Harbour Insurance Services is happy to help with any questions you may have with respect to flood insurnace, or any personal insurance needs for that matter. We can work with you to make sure that you understand the cost, the coverage, and why it’s the best call for your property. Contact us at (281) 520-4090 and let's get started.

As climate change becomes more and more prominent with more frequent, stronger storms, insurance protection is going to become more relevant as well.  While it may seem like an unnecessary charge every year, all it takes is one flood for you to see just why it is so important. Don’t find out the hard way — get proper protection with flood protection today!